Monday, May 9, 2011

The week about mom...

Well, what a treat it was to go to Sage's preschool for Mother's Tea. She was so excited for me to taste the muffins the class had been busy making and give me my present. The room was decorated so beautifully, the food was yummy, the gift adorable but the best part was that they had asked each child a few questions about their moms and had written down their answers to share at the tea. Gotta love when they ask your daughter "If you had lots of money what would you buy for your mother?" and your daughter says "a new porsche". Hmm, I think that's more along the lines of what your dad would want... Clearly there is some sort of disconnect between what Sage thinks of me and reality. She also said my favorite food is carrots and bacon. Have NO idea where that came from. She did get my age right but another favorite was "I know my mom loves me because she..." and Sage responded, "I'm her favorite kid in my family. She hugs me". She also said "While I'm at school, my mom looks at the pictures on my wall and types on the computer..." Good times at the tea party!!!




I just realized I am a terrible mom and didn't get a photo of my darling bottle cap pin and magnet! whoops! Next it was on to Mother's Day! I love Mother's Day. My favorite part is seeing what darling things the kids make at school. Each grade level does the same thing so this year it was poetry from the boys. Nothing like reading sweet poems written by your children. After spending the morning at church, the kids each gave me beautiful bouquets of flowers and Jack slaved in the kitchen making his family favorite...quesadillas and even going as far as to make me my absolute favorite thing...angel food cake! I'm happy to report that after a couple failed attempts trying to get the kids to eat angel food cake with me (since Jack refuses to waste his calories on a fat free cake) the kids have finally seen the light and now they too love angel food cake! It was a great day!

Each year when this day rolls around I am very mindful of what a difficult day this can be for some. I for one was not a fan of this day for many years. Of course I loved celebrating my own mom on this day but wondered if I would ever have anyone celebrating me as a mom, calling me mom. Nothing is worse than attending church and listening to them ask all the mothers to stand so they can publicly be acknowledged and given some token of appreciation for their role as 'mom' while you suffer in silence wondering if the day will ever come that you get to stand with all the others. I'm so glad our ward is sensitive to this and acknowledges all women on Mothers Day because indeed, mom or not, all women play a motherly role in the lives of those around them. I do believe it takes a village to raise a child. Many times it's with the help of kind neighbors, friends, church leaders, etc. that we are able to accomplish our role as 'mom' each day. I try to be mindful of all the wonderful women I know, mom or not who should be celebrated on this day.



Unfortunately I didn't get a nice photo of me and the kids before Sage and I had switched out of our clothes but in the end who cares...I got a photo with me the ones I'm so grateful for! Happy Woman Day!

4 comments:

shelly said...

Well said Laurie! And on top of all that, having a child is a very personal choice and certainly not for everyone, so those women should be acknowledged as well, for their courage in making that decision. Happy Woman Day, I love it!

Kristin said...

You are a great mom. That is nice that Sage thinks she is your favorite, because that means they probably all feel that way, which means you are doing your job. Glad you had a nice day.

tenacious d said...

A very sensitive and thoughtful talk on the eternal nature of motherhood was given in our Sacrament Meeting by a man who, with his wife, struggled with infertility for years. The point was made that Eve was named that because she was "The Mother of All Living"--well-before she ever had a child. I'm so glad that, by and large, the days where Mother's Day Sacrament Meeting was all about recognizing the women who bore children rather than all women.

The Knudsen Family said...

That sounds like such a fun day at Sage's preschool. And it sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day.