Well, this is how our afternoon drive home from school turned out...





The photo with Ty's cast hanging out the door reminds me of a scene from a freaky Halloween show...lol!
We had just left the middle school and were heading up Mason Montgomery when all the sudden traffic was coming to a screeching halt long before the light on main street but just after the light at the community center. You could see the back ends of the cars before me lifting up as everyone laid on their brakes and I had just come to a stop and turned to check on Ty in the back passenger bucket seat to see if he was ok from the sudden slow down when suddenly we heard and felt a loud bang of the car behind us ramming into us. It felt like we were in slow motion as we suddenly got slammed into the truck in front of us. It was awful. The kids have assured me that the mother of all words managed to come out of my mouth but the noise of the buckling metal is really all I remember. Connor was in the front seat with me and both our seat belts burst on impact but thankfully not until after they had done their job. I was certain the whole back end of our car would be gone but thankfully my 12 mpg beast had paid off and the majority of the noise we heard came from the car behind us being totaled.
Looks like the bus would have been the safer way home for poor Ty. His poor leg went flying into the front passenger seat but after some ibuprofen for him and Connor for a few days they seem to be doing fine. My arms were aching immediately but the officer said that was normal as you tend to stiffen up and grab the wheel during impact and then to be slammed into the truck in front of us he said would cause that. He also said it was a blessing my spare tire was where it was because it absorbed most of the energy from the wreck which was a good thing. The poor guy who hit us though was the one we were most worried about. As you can see his front end was totally mangled and all he kept saying was it was a company car and he couldn't afford to lose his job over this. I felt really bad for him. It was an accident and thankfully my car is so big and I could see many cars slamming on their brakes in front of me that I had enough time to slow down but even if he had looked at his radio for a second, it would be easy to not realize how fast people were slowing down.
Unfortunately in instances like this I can't help but think if only Ty hadn't gone to the party or if only Connor hadn't offered his "expert advice" to Ty on how to do that gainer, then I wouldn't be dealing with this! They say things happen in threes...heaven help me...
No comments:
Post a Comment