Thursday, March 6, 2014

New experiences for the boys...

So in 6th grade the boys are required to sign up for a music class with the options being orchestra, band, or choir. I had assumed they'd select choir as it seemed to be the easiest choice (no practicing required) and let's be honest aside from Jack's sister, there is no musical talent on either sides of the family. I have clear memories of me trying out an instrument around their age. I started with the cello but the thing was bigger than me so that only lasted a week. Then I moved on to the violin but the ear piercing noises that came from it was enough to drive me crazy and after that I tackled piano which I did do for several years but sadly have nothing to show for it. Well, after attending an instrument fair Ty decided he wanted to play the viola and Connor chose the violin. Thankfully drums aren't offered in 6th grade. The only complaint I have was that the accessory kit should have included ear plugs...

So here are our musicians...



Next it was on to a new sport for the winter. Football had ended and wrestling is always marketed to the football kids. I personally think wrestling is one of the grossest sports out there but Jack got the boys all excited and within a week of finishing up the football season they were starting wrestling. They actually really enjoyed it and at their first beginner level match, they both took first in their weight categories. Of course once they were put up against kids that had been wrestling since they were four (literally), it became clear they'd need to really focus if they wanted to continue winning. Because most of the meets were on Sundays they didn't get in as many as we would have liked but they still really enjoyed going to the weekly practices. We'll see if it's something they'd like to do in middle school. The jury is still out on that...



Along with some good exercise, the boys also came away with a new friend because of wrestling. I love this photo of Ty and Joseph from their first tournament. Cute boys!!!

2 comments:

The Knudsen Family said...

That is great that they got to try out both of those new things. I am glad they had fun with the wrestling. Connor told us he wanted to keep at it. Fun for them to have an activity.

tenacious d said...

I love that the school requires their students to take a music class. Even if they don't ever quite get out of the screetching stage, they will get so much out of it.