Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Change...

Well, as I sit here in our corporate apartment with none of my own belongings and just a few suitcases we stuffed full back in Washington over a month ago, I thought I'd better update the blog or I'd find myself in the state of no return where if too much time goes by, I'd just abandon it all together. Jack's on a business trip to Florida tonight and since he left his laptop, I figured I'd put it to some use...so here I go...

When the headhunter first called Jack about an opportunity with a company called Luxottica, we had to giggle. I thought we're going from coffee to adult entertainment (admit it, it does sound like a porn company) and with the US headquarters based in Ohio, it was a no brainer that I wouldn't have to worry about a second interview. He had just recently passed on a couple other opportunities which were in much more glamorous locations and with Starbucks doing so well and a portfolio of stock getting ready to vest in November I knew it was just his curiosity getting the best of him and that he'd come to his senses and realize that we do indeed love Seattle, Starbucks, and our life in the northwest. Well, clearly I misjudged that situation. So on April 30, our 18th anniversary, Jack officially started his new job...in Ohio. He finished his last day of work at Starbucks on a Thursday and on the following Sunday he was on a flight to Ohio. Thankfully during the transition he was able to return home to Seattle every Friday and flew back to Ohio on Mondays.

Snoqualmie has been home for over eight years. It is the only place the boys remember calling home and it was the home Sage first came home to after her arrival into our family. Many fabulous memories were made here and more importantly many friendships were formed that we'll never forget and will always cherish. That move eight years ago couldn't have gone any smoother and how excited we were to be back on the west coast closer to family and in a City we looked forward to exploring. It was a chapter in our life that we'll always feel so blessed to be able to talk about.

Here is a photo of some of my wonderful neighborhood friends who threw me a going away party. One of the best things about living in Snoqualmie Ridge was the wonderful assortment of friends we made. We had church friends, football friends, neighborhood friends, and school/and other sport friends. These wonderful ladies made living on the Ridge a lot more fun!



The Reynolds and the Sundwalls also threw us a going away party where we got to have one final send off from many of our favorite ward friends. Our other dear friends the Williams were leaving too heading to Vegas for a new chapter in their life. We'll miss them but seeing them off at the same time we were taking off made it a tad bit easier. We were fortunate to call all of these great people our friends!



I finally let the boys have their first sleep over with their buddy Joseph who lives across the street. The kids had been begging forever to have one but Jack and I have always had our reasons as to why we weren't fans of sleepovers in general! It was not about having kids in our home but rather not wanting to hurt anyones feelings if the kids didn't go to sleepovers at someone else's house. Our community is so tight and I'd hate for someone to wonder why the kids could be allowed to go to so and so's house but not someone else's, etc. So we just avoided them. Joe on the other hand has been a best bud for years. They were two and he was three when we first moved in. We've always loved his family and the kids have shared many memories together through the years. During our last few days in town these boys were connected at the hip...



Sage also had a sleepover with her bff Alyssa next door. I understand the girls stayed up late and had a blast. If there is one I worry about most with this move...after myself...it's Sage. She and Alyssa have become such great friends over the past two years. I can count on the doorbell ringing every day with Alyssa standing there wondering how long before Sage gets home from school. Alyssa in a year younger in school even though she is just a few month younger in age.

On June 20th the kids and I boarded a plane for Utah. School hadn't even been out for a week but we had lots on our plate. I needed to get the kids to Utah so I could finish up some house preparations in Ohio, plus now that school was out, trying to keep a house in "show condition" all the time was going to become a lot trickier. To make matters more exciting yet complicated we threw in a trip to Europe right in the midst of it all so I had to get the kids to UT so that grandma and grandpa could watch them while I continued on to Ohio to meet up with Jack.

Unfortunately not even a first limo ride for the boys and Sage was going to make this move any easier.





After getting the kids settled in Utah I took a flight out the very next morning to meet Jack. We spent the weekend meeting with landscapers, carpenters, a decorator, etc. We had back to back meetings for two days finalizing all the details with the Ohio house renovations. Then we continued on to Europe for a wonderful two week vacation with just the two of us. I actually felt a bit guilty taking the trip since we had just returned a couple months earlier from our amazing trip to Dubai and the Maldives but the guilt quickly disappeared once I sat down in that darn business class seat and realized that for the next couple weeks someone would be catering to me rather than myself catering to everyone else!!! I knew the kids were in good hands with my parents and once again I realized how lucky I am to have such wonderful parents that so quickly jump at the chance to watch our kids and a wonderful husband that I get to share my life with!

No comments: