Monday, March 14, 2011

Finaghty's St. Patty's Day 5K

So this past weekend our community hosted a 5K run. Our friends the Sundwall's coordinate the local runs and always do a remarkable job. The course is beautiful, it's always well put together, and the community comes out in full force to support it. The day before the event Ty mentioned to me he wanted to run in it. I neglected to do anything about it thinking he probably really wasn't that interested but he was determined to run in it and on the morning of, jumped out of bed excited to participate. Jack called our friend Sean to see if it would be possible to add Ty and within a few minutes Ty was dressed, numbered, and excited to be doing his first run ever! Now when he woke up he thought he'd be doing the much smaller 1K but according to Sean that race was for "3-4 year olds". Thank you Sean but that is a bit insulting since I don't know that I would be able to even finish that one... so away Ty went on the 5K. I watched him as he lined himself up at the front of the start line, Jack greeted him mid way through as he passed through the intersection that Jack was directing the runners through and then I got to see him as he came across the finish line. He made it in 34:08 which for his very first race I was pretty impressed with. To be honest I thought there was a possibility I'd be the last one standing at the finish line but nope, Ty was far from the last one to cross. We are so proud of him!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job Ty! What a great accomplishment at such a young age. I don't think I could finish that race. -Gary