Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Winter Break in Utah: Feb. 11-23


What was supposed to be our wonderful annual ski trip to Utah started out on a bit of a bumpy ride...literally. Me and the kiddos flew down to Utah on the 11th to get an early start on the winter break. We had my brother Gary fly up to Seattle so he and Jack could drive our truck down to Utah that weekend so we'd have a car to use. Sounds like a lot of work just to avoid a rental but after we were done using it on the vacation Gary was going to buy it since it was an extra car that we don't really need. I was nervous about them traveling across the Blue Mountains in February but had checked the weather daily before their scheduled drive. On Saturday I called Jack every couple hours on their drive to make sure things were going well. He assured me that the road conditions were perfect and they were making great time. Of course as it got darker and they reached the Utah boarder that would all change. Somewhere between Snowville and Tremonton, Ut they hit black ice and at 75 MPH, black ice isn't a pleasant experience. They did a 360 and rolled a few times. It truly is a miracle that they were both able to walk away with just a couple scratches. I will never forget the feeling I felt as I picked up the phone at my parents home and heard Jack on the other end, extremely panicked and asking me to call 911. (And yes, he called me to have me call 911...some things never change!) Poor Gary was screaming the whole time "I'm so sorry Jack" as it kept rolling. Thankfully Jack just kept responding to "brace yourself" which I think helped both them as they both have so far seemed to avoid any back or neck injuries. As anxious as I was to be rid of the truck I will forever be a fan of it as it saved their lives at the expense of being "totaled".

We had just taken this before photo of the truck for Gary shortly before the trip.



The truck was placed on a flat bed and taken to the local salvage yard. Aside from Jack's Blackberry, IPod attachment,and a mattress set and chair that we were giving to my parents, nothing else came up missing or broken. Unfortunately we didn't have time to get back up to Ogden where it was being stored to take some better photos. So for now we just have one that my brother Paul took at the scene with his mobile phone.

Poor Jack had to jump on a plane the next day to return for meetings at work but he returned a couple days later and we spent the remaining part of the trip having our typical fun filled time! I captured this photo the morning after the wreck to prove he's still in his perfect, handsome shape!



Here are some of the highlights:

1. Sledding near my parent's home at the "bowl". The boys love this place. I was winded after walking back up the hill once. They must have done it several dozen times over the three days we went. Connor only likes to go down backwards on this thin saucer type sled. Sometimes the result of that wasn't too pretty. The boys also tested out Jack's back to make sure there was no major damage to it as a result of the accident.




2. Skiing. What can I say...I'm a huge fan of ski school. Thankfully the boys love it so this way Jack and I can enjoy the morning skiing together and then the boys show us all they've learned in the afternoon. We've done this the past three years each day we ski and sadly, they are now way faster than us. Their favorite thing to do now is race to the bottom. Good thing Uncle Paul was able to join us one of the days because we'd have him race down with them. Also take note of Jack's awesome helmet. Acutally it's got to be the ugliest helmet out there but that's what drove him to buy it. I can say I think he'd fit in perfectly in Iraq...





3. Tubing the lazy way at Soldier Hollow in Midway! This place alone makes me want to build a cabin on our lot there just so I can have this place in our backyard. What a cash cow this place is. Brilliant idea. Uncles Paul and Sean and cousin Teagan were also able to join us. Sadly, Grandma wasn't feeling good since Sage and Connor contaminated her with their colds upon arrival to Utah. So Grandpa and her stayed home. We also missed having pregnant Aunt Brooke join us but she decided to play it safe at home!





4. Back country sledding at Sundance! Connor decided to stay back with Grandma for this outing.




Our curious, adventurous, busy boy TY!



5. An early birthday surprise! Grandma and Grandpa wanted to give the boys their presents before we left. They LOVED them. Aside from causing a stir at the airport as I went through security with them in my carry on which required me to go through extensive screening, I think they are pretty cool too! Thanks Grandma and Grandpa. You always manage to pick winners!!! Grandma, we'll capture a photo of you with the kids in April. I know you'd kill me if I put up the only one I got with you in it! :)



6. We also made it through the Draper Temple with the kids. That was such a great experience for the boys. They loved carrying their brochure around and matching the photos from the brochure with the rooms as we walked through them. It was their first experience being in a temple before it is dedicated. It was beautiful. Both the artwork and woodwork inside made me want to rethink my own home. I didn't have my camera with me so didn't capture any photos of the temple but it wasn't a particularly nice day either so I don't think I could have gotten the boys to stand still long enough to even get a photo. My mom and I couldn't believe all the vacant, abandoned homes for sale directly across the street from the temple. It was so depressing to see this beautiful temple surrounded by all these for sale signs. A clear sign of a terrible economy where builders way overbuilt on speculation.

Well, we are now thankful to be home safely in our home but look forward to returning in April for another getaway!

4 comments:

The Knudsen Family said...

It sounds like you guys had a great time. I wish we could have come and spent some time with you. If you are coming back in April though we will definetly have to try to come then. Let us know when you are going to be there. I am glad that you had so much fun and that you all made it home safely.

Noelle said...

I'm soooo sad we missed you guys. Luckily April is right around the corner. It is funny that we missed you though... we live RIGHT by the Draper Temple (like 3 blocks down the road). That stake center that you go through at the end of the tour... that's our ward building. So, definatley next time! Again, so glad that Jack and Gary are OK. Too scary!!!

Dion Seneca said...

It looks like you had a great time! We need to be more on the ball and take our boys to ski school. The problem is figuring out what to do with the girls...and buying all the gear! We have done the tubing thing, which is a blast! We definitely would love to see you when you come back again in April! Let us know your schedule and we will try to make it up your way.

PS. I am very glad to hear that there were no injuries from the accident...scary stuff!

Kristin said...

I am so glad that Jack and your brother weren't hurt. I laughed when I read that Jack called you to call 911. I always tell John he would be lost if something happened to me- he wouldn't know where to find anything in the kitchen, when the kids got home from school, where they go or when they eat, and lets not even talk about bills or finances.