So today Jack calls me to say he's read my most recent blog entry and is a bit disappointed with the way he was portrayed. I ask him what exactly did I write that upset him because I felt he had done a wonderful job and was so thankful he was willing to stay behind and watch the kids while I had fun. He reminded me that "there would have never been 6 missed calls from home if you had answered the first time" and that "they were all related to the same subject"...bus arrival times. He was also insulted by the note to self to include the step by step instructions in the future as that was the only question he had the whole time. He didn't like being portrayed as some incompetent dad trying to keep the peace by spending money which he insisted wasn't the case since all they purchased were costumes and food. I certainly wasn't trying to insult him. Jack did a fabulous job. He got our big bouncer all blown up for the kids and situated in the garage, made yummy homemade banana pancake breakfasts, quesadilas, and great bowls of cereal. He had them all showered and in PJ's when I arrived and the house was tidy. He also clarified to me that in those three days they only went out to eat twice. Jack did an awesome job so much so that I think these mommy weekend getaways should be a monthly event since it's clear he's got it all mastered! Thanks hon! You are fab!!!!
Onto other calls of the day: Today the boys each came home with their own class directories (the ones that include all their classmates contact info). I didn't think much of them until a few moments later when Connor is asking me to double check that Ryan's number is indeed his phone number. I ask why he wants to call this boy from his class and he states that he was sick from school today and wants to make sure he is ok. I mention that it probably isn't a good idea to call when he's sick but Connor is determined to make sure he is ok and I didn't want to sound totally uncompassionate. Within a couple minutes I overhear Connor saying "this is Connor R from Ryan's class and I'm calling to make sure Ryan is ok because he was sick and missed school today" the conversation continues and after Connor hangs up you can tell how happy he is that he made the call. After hearing his sweet conversation I was glad I hadn't prevented him from doing it. So next it's Ty's turn and he wants to call someone from his class. I hear bits and pieces of him chatting with one of his friends and don't think much about it. A half hour later I receive two calls from parents. It became clear real fast that Ty must have been going down the list leaving messages or calling kids from his class as the parents were calling to make sure everything was ok. All I hope is that when the boys hung up after making the calls that they indeed hit "end" or who knows what these poor people heard in the background...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think it is great that the Dads can take the kids for a weekend sometimes. It is a great bonding experience for all of them. And who cares if they eat out more or get spoiled by Daddy. That's part of the fun, right? No need to be defensive, Jack. We all give you props for holding down the fort so Laurie could get away for a bit. And I know if I was the one who was stepping into fill my crazy role, I would definitely need lots of step by step instructions. It is just way too difficult to figure out 4 little people (in your case 3) and all of their preferences, appointments, etc.
Your Conner is such a sweet boy!
And that Ty...oh my goodness! I always know I am going to get a good chuckle when you mention his name!
Post a Comment