Monday, April 28, 2008

Oh, the not so pretty...

So it happened this past week...you know, the dreaded (and obviously for us a bit late) talk with your kids about "the big secret"...OK we didn't go so far as to talk about the actual "big secret" but we were required to have the introduction talk that takes place hopefully years before the actual "big secret" talk.

So this is how it started. Since I'm still acting as single mom during the weeks, my days can be frantic and with little league in full swing, our Tuesdays and Thursdays are even busier. My normal routine is to feed the kids after we get back at around 6:15 p.m. and then before I clean up the kitchen I toss all three of them in the shower to play around. I usually give them 10 minutes of play time in the shower before we do soapy time and then allow them another ten minutes or so to rinse the soap off. Sage absolutely loves the water and once she hears the shower running and the shower door shutting, she's pulling at her diaper and trying to get her shirt off as fast as she can to go join her brothers. So while they are playing and rinsing off I do a final clean up downstairs.

So I'm making my way up to get them out and as I walk into my steam filled bathroom I can see what appears to be Ty on all fours crouched over Sage who looked as if she had fallen down in the shower. Of course I start to panic but just then I hear giggles coming out of Sage. What exactly is going on? My heart starts racing. The steam in the shower makes it hard to make it out but I frantically open the door to find Sage lying down on her back on the shower floor with Ty over her (on all fours). When I screeched to ask Ty exactly what he is doing he quickly says "I'm just pointing out to Sage all her body parts, you know, her eyes, nose, ears, hands". Knowing I can always count on Connor to fess up exactly what is going on, he goes on to tell me "well, he was actually looking to see where Sage's penis is and where her pee comes out of." I will spare you the screams that came out of my mouth and the way I totally mishandled the situation but after calling Jack in a panic totally freaking out, it became clear I had learned a valuable lesson and that is be the first to teach your children...about everything. I should have known better than to think my curious Ty would resist the temptation to try to figure this all out on his own before asking me. Needless to say, this past weekend, Jack and I sat the boys down and had the BIG talk about the difference between boys' and girls' body parts. Time for me to brush up on exactly when I should be having all these talks with my children. It felt a little strange using the "V" word since it hadn't been part of the boys vocabulary the past 6 years but there you have it... It's done and so is Sage showering with the boys!!!

Thankfully the week ended better, most importantly because daddy comes home on Thursday evenings but also because the boys had their Little League Jamboree. This is a day where they get to march in a small parade with their teams, play in all the blow up bouncers, have team photos, and eat fun food. The weather was perfect and it marks the transition from practices to games.

5 comments:

Mara said...

Okay, thanks for the laugh! I love your kids...you always have the best stories. We love you guys, even if you are defecting to a warmer climate. :) Mara

Casey said...

Oh the dreaded "separated baths" day. It was so much easier to throw them all in at the same time, but all good things must come to an end. How funny and how innocent.

Eric has his 4th grade puberty video today! Yikes! I'm so dreading these talks. We already started to talk about some "things" but need to get into the nitty gritty before long and I'm not looking forward to it. If only they could stay young forever!

That picture was so awesome. It looks like it was the perfect day for a jamboree and don't the boys look so cute in their uniforms! I love baseball!

The Knudsen Family said...

Oh I am not looking forward to that talk with my boys. I am sure you handled it better than you think. My mom never talked to us about those things and I learned alot from maybe not the best people to learn it from. I don't even know what I will tell my boys.
I am glad you had a warm day. The baseball jamboree sounds so fun. I am looking forward to getting Boston and Preston into that stuff.
Anyway hope you are all doing good. One of these days I'll have to give you a call so we can have a real conversation, not just a blogging one but it is nice that you have started this it does make it a little easier to stay in touch. Talk to you soon. Kelly

Mom-entarily Out of Order said...

Laurie I am still laughing so hard! Thanks for brightening my day.

Brooke said...

Well, Sean and I were laughing our heads off. That so sounds like something Tyler would do. I'm a little jealous....Teagen won't step a toe in the shower, way too nervous. It would make life easier if I could just pop him in there with Sean. I'm so excited that you started a blog, it's fun to see pictures and know what's going on in your fun life!