Thursday, March 25, 2021

Spring Break 2021

With the boys in college and BYU not having an official "spring break" I wasn't sure what to plan for Sage's spring break.  With it being race season for rowing she wasn't excited to miss the double practices they'd be having during the break because those really help to get them prepped. And while I was anxious to get away and it's a nice break for us to visit Jack rather than him always coming to us I did dread making the trip with Nova.  Unfortunately leaving him would be worse with his separation anxiety but bringing him gives me a bunch of anxiety since he cries a good part of the trip. The pros outweighed the cons though so once again Sage and I found ourselves squeezing Nova into an already larger than allowed case, hoping that just maybe he would remember he had done this before and would be ok.  At first I thought things would be OK when he went to jump into his carrying case as we were packing things up,  Of course that ended up being just for show.













I always feel a little bit of anxiety before leaving on a trip, worried about making the flight, getting Nova through security, did I pack everything, did I set the house alarm, etc.  Well, it doesn't help when you go to call Uber right before you are scheduled to head to the airport only to learn there are no available drivers. Then I tried Lyft and the same thing happened.  Thankfully my sweet neighbor Amtul who had just arrived home was able to drive us on  short notice but not without having to listen to a crying Nova who was trying to fight his way out of his carrying case.  It was going to be a long day of travel at this rate...

Thankfully after a rough start in the car and through the airport, he finally calmed down on the plane.  To the point I was worried that the melatonin we had given him in hopes of calming him had maybe killed him.  Sage was asleep on my lap for much of the flight but after several hours of no movement in Nova's case I made Sage check on him since he was under the chair next to her.  As she unzipped the case out came Nova's head!

Nova and Luna back together...

One of the things I had arranged before our flight out was for Sage to meet with a rowing coach who runs the Park City Rowing Academy out at Jordanelle.  We spent our first day checking out his venue.  It is absolutely spectacular!  We both agreed the coach was lovely but understandably it would be a big change from her current club that has over 100 rowers and is able to be on the water year round to this club which he trains just a handful of people and for obvious reasons can only be on the water a few months out of the year.  In the meantime until they have started digging on our house I don't think we'll be rushing out so she'll enjoy the rowing in Florida while she can.



What is crazy is that just across the parking lot on the other side of the reservoir, the water is frozen!

Next we were off to get in a day of skiing with the boys! They've been lucky to get in a few trips this season while at BYU but Sage and I hadn't been for a couple years since last year we were unable to go due to Covid.  We made the drive to our old stomping ground, Brighton, which usually has some of the best snow due to it's altitude and what a great day we had.  It started to snow during the second half of the day which made for really nice conditions.  How fun it was to watch the three of them and how happy I was to see Sage enjoying it...especially since she had sprained her ankle a week earlier when she fell off the dock while washing down one of our jet skis.  Connor has always been the speed demon and Ty is really getting good at snowboarding considering he made the transition from skiing just a couple years ago and has only had one lesson!


Of course one of my priorities on this trip was to get up to Heber and meet with the architectural review committee to better understand what they will and won't allow in our design.  It's hard not to dream of the day we will be breaking ground on this lot and Jack will no longer have to commute. Unfortunately, a spring start doesn't look to be in the cards.  Fingers crossed for this summer.











One of the nights we were there, Ty was gathering a bunch of friends to head up to Sundance for some night skiing.  They had all bought passes earlier in the season that were about to expire so while the conditions were not great they wanted to use them before it was too late.  I loved that Ty encouraged Sage to join them and she was equally as excited.  Too bad they hadn't waited a few more days as a big storm arrived and brought a good amount of snow but they told me they still had a great time.  On our way back from Heber Jack and I stopped in to catch a glimpse of them.  Connor decided to sit this ski trip out.

Ty getting comfortable being on a snowboard rather than skis and looking to catch some air...

Here we are hanging out with everyone at Sean's new place.  It's hard to believe this will probably be the last time all the cousins are together for a couple years since the boys will be leaving on their missions this summer.

On Saturday night into Sunday a large amount of snow had arrived in the mountains so Jack, I and Sage thought it would be fun to take Nova to Sundance to enjoy it!  It only makes sense to take a husky to see the snow...and oh did he love it!  Nothing like a fresh snowfall on the trees!  So beautiful!







We always have such a great time in Utah.  It really feels like a dream to someday be able to spend half our time there and half here in Florida.  But what makes Utah the favorite of the two is getting to hang around the people that matter most a bit more...my family!

No comments: