Saturday, January 19, 2019

NYC

I can't say traveling to NYC in January is one of my favorite things but I can say watching our niece get married there in January was wonderful! I can hardly believe Kylie is now married. It seems like just yesterday she was unwrapping an easy bake oven from us on her 3rd birthday.

We debated on bringing the kids but in the end chose to leave them behind so Jack and I could get away alone which meant leaving them on their own for the first time ever. While I was hesitant, I knew the boys were at an age and maturity that they'd be fine, especially since they were on the holiday break still and wouldn't have to be getting themselves and Sage off to school. I also knew Sage had a birthday party she didn't want to miss and the boys were anxious for their beach day with their friends. So away we went and here they stayed. While the main reason for going was the wedding, how fun it was for us to spend a few extra days sightseeing and playing tourists. We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn right in midtown which was centrally located to everything and how fun it was to look down from our high floor room onto our old apartment! It's a fabulous fairly new hotel and one we will look forward to returning to again. Here was the view out our room. That small white brick building on the right is our old building in fact we can see our exact windows!




The next morning we awoke and were off to the temple and boy was it chilly! We were definitely not in Florida!!! After watching Kylie and Braden tie the knot we all made our way to Tavern on the Green for the fabulous luncheon before watching them be whisked away in a yellow cab! Of course, it was not just any yellow cab!





Now it was time for Jack and I to enjoy the city...even if the temps were only in the 50's! Speaking of cold weather, Jack couldn't pass up the bridge from the snowball fight scene in Elf without grabbing a photo for the kids!



After getting into more comfortable clothes we strolled through Times Square before taking in a Broadway show. While it won't make our top ten, I thought it was cute even if Jack thought it was predictable and boring.




The next morning we awoke to similarly cold temps and with Florida running through our veins, we knew we probably wouldn't last long outdoors so after a quick detour to 5th Ave to grab Jack a scarf, we jumped onto the subway downtown to check out One World Trade since 1. It was inside and 2. We had yet to take the elevator to the observation floor. But before getting there I found myself distracted by some new color that had been added to that part of town since our last trip! Of course I couldn't walk by without capturing a few photos!



Finally, after all these years we made it to the top of One World Trade, the tallest building in the US! While it wasn't one of the most beautiful days to be admiring the view from the top, we still had a great time, not to mention we enjoyed lunch at the top too!



It's hard to beat 5th Ave during the holiday season and how glad I was we arrived just before the stores would be removing all the holiday decor! We couldn't help but notice that some of the buildings were dressed up the exact same way they were twenty years ago when we lived there! Saks however has stepped it up quite a bit since our days in the City, putting on a light show to music that was quite impressive and sure lit up the street!




After a stroll through midtown there was no better way to spend a chilly night than at a Broadway show so after a stop at TKTS, we found ourselves seeing Head Over Heels. While we didn't have a particular show we were hoping to see Jack was excited to see something light and fun which is what he got! And while it was not a show I would have taken the kids to, the music and props were fantastic... how can you not enjoy singing along to the Go Go's!!!



The next morning before heading out to James' and Jaime's we met my mom's cousin Lesley and her daughter Julia for lunch! It wouldn't be a complete trip to NYC without seeing Lesley and how nice it was to have Julia join us too! Once again some fun art in the background...lol!



Sadly I didn't take but a couple photos at James and Jaime's beautiful place where the wedding reception was held but what an amazing job they and their wedding planner did in making it a night to remember! I really don't think it is possible to have planned a better night!



Best wishes to Kylie and Braden!

No comments: