Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Excuse me, where's the snow?

After not getting in our annual ski trips to Utah last year, we were determined to make it out this year so I pulled the kids out of school a couple days before their spring break and we spent almost two weeks enjoying the break in Utah. The trip ended up being a bit more hectic than it normally would have been since quietly behind the scenes I dropped off the kids in Utah and caught a flight out to Cincinnati the next morning to meet Jack for a four day area orientation/house hunting trip for a job offer he was considering. I'll do a future post on all of that but for now I can say my normal relaxing trip to Utah was much more hectic and a bit more stressful as important decisions needed to be made and my heart was feeling conflicted with my head. Unfortunately because Jack had taken so much time off for our trip last month, he was extremely busy with work and wasn't able to be with us in UT. He was initially booked to fly out for Easter but even that got changed due to last minute work meetings so we were sad to not have him there with us. In the meantime, the kids enjoyed their few days without me, hanging out with Grandma and Grandpa going to the zoo and dinosaur museum. Once I returned we had a great time enjoying some skiing, hanging out with friends and family, spending Easter with the cousins and enjoying some beautiful, warm weather.

One of the things on our to do list this trip was to get Sage up on skis. Now that we've done that the question will be can we get her up on skis a second time?!? I was so excited as I spied on her with her instructor to see her smiling and doing really well, listening and following everything her instructor said. I picked her up for lunch and looked forward to spending the afternoon having her show me all the things she had learned. Well within minutes that same smile was replaced with complaining and tears. Needless to say we'll be doing full day ski school next time!!!

Thank goodness Paul was happy to come spend the day with the boys on the slopes since I knew I'd be focused on Sage. They boys had a great time and Ty was super excited to have completed his first double black diamond. I was curious to see how they'd do since we missed the ski season last year but according to Paul for the most part they were able to keep up with him which is pretty impressive since we all know what a daredevil Paul is on the slopes!

Normally April is our favorite month to ski in Utah because in past years we've been able to enjoy record snowfall in the mountains and warmer temps in the valley but this year the weather was strange and there wasn't a lot of snow. Apparently there was plenty at the top but only Paul and the boys would have seen that since Sage and I spent most our time on the bunny hill...oh, I mean out in the car...lol! Next time I just need to remember the sun screen. We were all pretty fried by the end of the day but Poor Ty was in really bad shape since he spent most of the day with his goggles on top of his head rather than over his eyes...

Our newest skier to Team Roddy...well, it was good while it lasted...



All smiles at the beginning of the day...



The three amigos...who always had smiles!



Easter! I've seen these before! I think I have an identical photo taken the last time we were out for Easter!



Everyone loves an Easter egg hunt...




Can you find Ty's bunny face in the jello? He was pretty excited with his creation...



It's no secret who Sage has a crush on...



We're always so grateful to Gary and Kelly who always make a point to come into town when we are in town!



Grandpa and Gary took the kids over to Thanksgiving Point to see a movie and tour the museum...



Nothing like skiing one day and enjoying 80 degree temps the next...



Thanks again mom and dad for another fantastic visit!

1 comment:

tenacious d said...

Your boys are getting so tall! That's just crazy that they're doing double-black diamonds. Sage will get there eventually.