The weekend festivities began with Jack and I attending an adult only Halloween party. I wanted something original so this is what we came up with...the Prize Patrol and the unsuspecting housewife. It got a lot of laughs and I'm pretty certain I was the most comfortably dressed one there!!!
Since I'm the class photographers for Sage's class I got to participate in their class Harvest Party which took place on Halloween. Here are a couple shots from that. They spent the day moving from table to table doing different crafts and finished the morning eating some yummy, creepy snacks. I have to vent though and just say I hate that we live in a world where we are supposed to be so politically correct and tolerant of all things yet in our desire to be tolerant of others we end up sacrificing or having to downplay our own values, beliefs, etc. Heaven forbid we call it what it is, a Halloween party, as that would be not politically correct so instead they call it a Harvest party... LAME!

Beginning last year we decided to make a deal with the boys that if they chose to come up with a costume that we didn't have to pay for (something from around the house, etc) that we would pay them $20. The point was that I much prefer to pay my kids than some store and truth be told, buying one at the store usually sets us back around $40 so it's a win win. I also think it's a great way to inspire and stimulate their creativity. Again, Ty who is always motivated by money took the deal and decided he was going to be a "Mexican". We told him the correct title was a Mexican Mariachi. Of course when he ran into a lady on the street trick or treating who happened to be wearing a sombrero, the first thing out of his mouth was "Hey, are you a Mexican? So am I!" He LOVES the sombrero he picked out in Cabo earlier this year and was going to do anything to come up with a costume that worked around it.
Connor had again decided to turn down the money offer and had selected a costume at Target. Unfortunately he had a situation at school where he had been late getting a couple assignments turned in and this was noted on his weekly report. Feeling confident it would never happen again I threatened to return the costume if it did. Completely uncharacteristic of Connor it happened the week before Halloween and so you can see that he had to come up with something quick and a football player it was! I can say he was one of at least a half dozen 'Wildcats' we saw roaming the streets on Halloween!
Sage was very excited to pick out a costume this year. We had pretty much exhausted all the "home made" ones from around the house that included Tinkerbell, a cowgirl, witch and pumpkin. She selected Super Girl and boy did she look SuPeR!!!

Sage again spent the first hour running from house to house making certain to outrun her brothers to the doorbell. She ended up paying for all this running later in the night when she decided she just was not up for the task of staying out as long as her brothers. She was completely satisfied with her haul and I'm sure her belly will be too... The boys on the other hand stayed out about a half hour longer and were happy with their end result! Again Ty managed to come home with a bit more candy than Connor but this time it was because several homes had offered him extra candy if he played a tune for them on his guitar...
Bring on Thanksgiving and Christmas!!!
3 comments:
I love all of their costumes. I love Ty's creativity. And Sage does look SUPER. Their pumpkins are so good. You guys do a great job every year. My boys are the same way. They asked about everyday for 2 weeks when we were going to carve the pumpkins. It looks like they had fun and got lots of good treats.
Ohmygosh! Your kids delight me to no end. They are adorable and creative.
So, what do you think is up with Connor not handing things in? My Keiler was like that--he would do well on the tests, but not hand in homework. His feeling was that it was busywork and not worth his time. We never quite cured him of that. It's good you can get a jump on that with Connor now.
We offer the same deal to our kids with the costumes, but I am a bit cheaper, my offer was for $10. I hope they don't read your post. :)
Post a Comment