Friday, September 2, 2011

Back to school...back to reality!

Hard to believe the Roddy household has two fourth graders and a kindergartner! As tempting as it is to request the boys be in the same class which would make my life a lot easier, I continue to have them placed in separate classes so they can continue to grow and develop without any pressures from the other and no feeling they have to gravitate to the same friends, extracurricular activities etc. or feel like they are always being compared to each other. It was nice not to have to worry about who they got for teachers since this year we had heard great things about all of them but as it turned out Ty got a teacher that apparently Connor had really wanted (even though I was clueless about this until the day they learned who their teachers were.) In the end though, Connor has seemed thrilled with his teacher and I told him that she must be a pretty special teacher considering she's the first teacher to call me on the first week of class to tell me what a "pleasure it is having Connor" in her class. We are really looking forward to a great year and from the weight of their back packs this year, I'm guessing the homework and learning curve is about to increase substantially.

Here are my two sweethearts!



I was thrilled to learn that Sage got Mrs. Kinghorn for her teacher. Calla was Connor's kindergarten teacher and she happens to also be a friend from church. She is fantastic and everyone in the community knows and hopes for her. It also worked out that Sage has a couple of her friends in the class with her which is always nice. I didn't know how I'd take dropping her off on this first day. It wasn't until I had returned back to the house that I felt the sadness. Not because she would now be gone five days a week (granted it's less than three hours a day) but rather because she is the last one and we are starting to enter a new phase in our life. I guess I feel like I'm experiencing a mild case of the "empty nester" syndrome. Sage on the other hand seemed very excited and ready for this new chapter in her life when I dropped her off this morning but when I arrived to pick her I could tell she had a concerned look on her face. I later learned that she did shed a few tears at school today during the lunch recess. Apparently many of her friends had siblings that shared the same lunch period. She was sad because Connor and Tyler never came by to see her and she didn't understand that they didn't have the same lunch as her. One of the recess guards saw her and gave her a hug which I was told helped but she still said it was "not a good day" at school. Oh dear! At least she looked happy beforehand...







No comments: