Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Baseball Season 2010: The year of the rainouts!!!

You know it's been a wet spring in the northwest when you have to cancel an already rescheduled game due to rain. The crazy thing is that even with all those cancelled games, we still managed to experience playing in torrential rain, hail, sleet, and snow. That didn't stop us from having a great season though! We saw some major improvement, not to mention much more attentive, aggressive playing. Gone are the days of watching them pull grass in the outfield or play in the dirt around the bases. My favorite play was when Connor was up, the bases were loaded, he had two strikes and then came through with a double. I was so nervous for him that I didn't even think to try to capture it on camera. His teammates can't seem to forget it either! Here are some of the highlights of the season:

The kickoff Jamboree: Thankfully the rain on this day lifted just in time for the parade.



Little League Day at Safeco Field: The seats may be nose bleeders but the kids could care less. The boys are as happy as clams sitting with their team mates, eating cotton candy and watching Ichiro play. Even Sage made it through the whole game. This year I convinced Jack into only letting the boys pick one item from the overpriced snack bar. We had just hit up Mickey D's for some fast food on the way into the City so I figured this wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately my efforts to save a buck backfired when Jack then felt justified in taking them to the sports shop to pick up some memorabilia with all that money we had saved from not buying every item on the menu. As you can see it was all worth it since these tacky sponge hands have now found a home in our house. We'll see how long the fancy decks of baseball cards last too. I'm told "it's all part of the experience"! :)




My boys constantly accuse me of talking instead of watching their games. I can say this was the first year that I found myself not wanting to miss any of their plays or times at bat. Unfortunately, due to the weather, I didn't have my camera out too often but here are a couple shots I was able to capture on some nicer days:

Tyler on 3rd, trying to get home! And he scores!!!



The boys high-fiving each other after they make a good play in the outfield getting the batter out.



Tyler looking cute waiting to bat:



Connor was known for making his coach work hard for the perfect pitch. He wasn't going to attempt to hit just anything! I don't even want to think about what it will be like next year with kid pitch. I'm told it a true test of everyones patience...



Our cheering squad. I have to say it's so nice when Sage has a friend to play with at the games. For over two hours at each game, she and her friend would entertain each other!



The end of game relay: Sometimes we had to wonder what was more important winning, the game or the relay! I think in part this had to do with the fact that our team knew they were fast and pretty much unbeatable!



And finally, the end of year award ceremony! Nothing makes a bunch of boys happier than swimming, eating pizza, and getting their medals! (I love that most of these photos seem to include Ty in the air...)




Connor autographing the team balls. He's assured us they will be worth lots of money someday...



Posing with daddy!

3 comments:

Dion Seneca said...

There use to be a time when I dreaded each and every baseball game that I attended. But as they get older it gets much more entertaining. You are lucky that both of your boys played at the same time so you didn't have to spend any more time in the rain.

It is fun to see your kids growing up. It would be fun to get our kids together again sometime soon. When is the next time you will be coming through St. George?

Mara said...

Uh, I did countless hours of baseball practices and games this year and no one threw me a party at a swimming pool!! How'd you score on that one? I want to be on your team next year. I'm sure my boys won't mind playing down a few years. :)

tenacious d said...

Down here, I don't think that baseball season ever ends. They might get a couple of months off for basketball season.

Your kids are so freakin' adorable!